Fortnite in-game events are on their way and are set to revolutionize access to competitive battle royale for all. Housed under the brand new ‘Events’ tab on the Fortnite launcher, players will be able to join various in-game tournaments when update version 6.10 drops in the not too distant future.
The tournaments are open to anyone and everyone regardless of skill level with prizes, community clout up for grabs, and the chance to vie against Fortnite’s finest competitors. Each tournament will have a set score to reach, at which point you’ll receive an exclusive pin, acting as a ticket to the next round and prizes.
Tournaments will run on specific dates for a specific duration and are exclusive from one another meaning placing in a certain event doesn’t carry over to the next, effectively giving everyone ‘a completely clean slate – all players will begin with the same score and compete over several hours of intense competition to earn as many points as possible. Players can earn points by either achieving high placements or eliminating multiple opponents’.
As for matchmaking, the system will pair competitors based on their performance within the confines of a particular tournament. Play well and you’ll meet better players. Struggle and you’ll drop down a few notches.
In an effort to democratize the events, Epic Games aren’t creating restrictions based on platform or peripheral use. Keyboard or controller, you’ll end up fighting a mix of players from consoles, mobile, and PC. The justification: ‘Combining everyone into a single competition will allow for players to compete with their friends regardless of platforms and will allow us to place a single shining spotlight onto the world’s best players, increasing prize pools and player exposure from our competitions.’
Epic has released an initial schedule with the first planned events running concurrently in ASIA, EU, NA, BR, and OCE. They are:
- Alpha Tournament (Solo)
- Dates: October 16 – October 21
- Description: Participate in the first in-game tournament, spanning across several days of daily competition!
- Beta Tournament (Duo)
- Dates: October 23 – October 25
- Description: Grab a friend and take on the world – until you are the last two left.
- Friday Night Fortnite (Squad)
- Dates: October 19 – November 30
- Description: Join your friends every Friday and kick off your weekend with some exciting Squad action.
- Salty Springs Cup (Solo)
- Dates: October 27 – October 31
- Description: One week and three attempts to prove you’re the saltiest that Salty Springs has to offer.
- Tomato Temple Cup (Duo)
- Dates: October 28 – November 1
- Description: Become legends of the Tomato Temple Cup.